Casa Munras Hotel is an integral part of Monterey’s history as it was built around the original hacienda of Don Esteban Munras, the last Spanish diplomat to California. The hacienda was built in 1824 and was one of the first built outside the Royal Presidio of Monterey.
Over time the property transformed into a hotel and expanded around the historic hacienda. The site was transformed into a botanical landscape with remnants of planting from the past. Upon the acquisition by Larkspur Hospitality, revitalization was given to the facility.
With 171 guest rooms on 4 acres of gardens, the newly renovated hotel offers new programs such as a restaurant, lounge, conference space, and spa. Landscape and site improvements for these new programs include: aesthetic planting design to enhance the historic garden hotel concept, water efficient irrigation system, hardscape layout to incorporate outdoor seating areas and improve vehicular circulation, reuse of stone for exterior use, decorative re pits, outdoor kitchen, gas torches and lighting for evening ambiance, water features, whirlpool, providing concepts to metal artists and placing the metal art pieces in the landscape.